This qualification provides the skills and knowledge for an individual to be competent in frontline management skills of those working in a retail or business-to-business environment. It applies to those who are managing a small retail outlet, a section or department within a larger retail store, a small business-to-business outlet, or a section or department within a larger business or franchise.
Students enrolling in this qualification generally are employed in the industry. They are typically those who are managing a small retail outlet, a section or department within a larger retail store, a small business-to-business outlet, or a section or department within a larger business or franchise.
Individuals with this qualification are able to perform roles, such as:
- manage a small to medium sized retail store group or franchise outlet
- manage an independent retail store
- manage a business-to-business outlet
- departmental or section management in a retail or business-to-business enterprise.
- functional management roles, such as merchandise management
- manage an inside or outside sales team in a business-to-business company.
Possible job titles
- department manager
- merchandise manager
- customer service manager
- shift manager
- small business retail owner
To undertake this qualification, individuals will have previous retail supervisory experience in roles such as:
- customer service
- supervising work teams and employee relations
- sales performance
- store safety and security.
Examples of evidence of retail management experience may include:
- job descriptions and references from current or past employers
- an entry interview to determine retail supervision experience.
Entry requirement questionnaire is undertaken during the enrolment / prior the commencement of the course.When Online Platform is used, please ensure the following system requirements are satisfied:
- Operating System : Win 7, Mac OSX 10.7+
- Internet Connection : Broadband connection or faster is recommended. Dial-up access will be significantly slower, and it’s not recommend for using Moodle.
- Plug-ins: Flash browser plug-in version 10+ is required for desktop browser access.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Some documents are in the PDF format thus require Adobe Acrobat to open the PDF file.
This qualification is suitable for an Australian Apprenticeship pathway but is not appropriate for VET in Schools (VETiS) delivery.
Pathways from the qualification
After achieving SIR40212 Certificate IV in Retail Management, individuals may undertake:
- SIR50112 Diploma of Retail Management
- SIR80112 Vocational Graduate Certificate in Retail Leadership.
- Please click the unit below to get more information
- SIRXHRM002A – Recruit and Select Personnel
- SIRXMGT003A – Lead and Manage People
- TAEDEL402A – Plan, Organise and facilitate Learning in the Workplace
- SIRXCCS408 – Build retail Relationships and Sustain Customer Loyalty
- SIRXSLS406 – Manage Sales and Service delivery
- SIRXMER405 – Manage Store Presentation and Pricing
- SIRXRSK404 – Control Store Security
- SIRXWHS403 – Provide a Safe Work Environment
- SIRXFIN004A – Manage Financial Resources
- SIRXINV005A – Control Inventory
Cost and Duration
Member Price: $ 3,300
Non-member Price: $ 3,500
This program is delivered over a period of 9-12 months to allow time for the development of the underpinning workplace skills and the completion of workplace projects.
This program is delivered over a period of 1 -2 months to allow time for the development of the underpinning workplace skills and the completion of workplace projects.
ARA Retail Institute offers various intakes across Australian states throughout the year.
You may apply by using Online Enrolment Form (You are required to create an account to enable Save and Return feature).
You may contact us for more information or to arrange appointment for your specific requirements.